Monday 30 July 2012

It Just Occurred to Me...

Really, so much has happened in the past few days that maybe I shouldn't be so surprised that I never realized until now, that every story that I ever submitted to the Galbraith Award has been - or will soon be - published. Highway Driving (Galbraith web-page), a longer version of Heading Home (this fall in Voices), and a shorter version of Roll of Honour (due out on Wednesday, this week, in Canadian Stories).
I'm no expert, but I think that's impressive, even if I do say so myself.
I don't ask other writers what their batting average is, just as I wouldn't want them to ask that of me. So I don't know what percentage that go recognized is considered as respectable. But let's take a look at the total number of stories in my file, including the ones that I know are duds, but put them in anyway, probably for no better reason than they'd taken up so much of my time (I won't disclose the total number, but if you're really, REALLY interested, you can do the math by reading through the entire blog), and divide that into the number that have gained recognition, I arrive at just over 28%. Is that good? How should I know? But then, if I include the number of stories that have gained recognition more than once, the number increases to 37%, which is decidedly better.
But let's get really crazy, and include only the stories that were written during and after the making of Josiah Stubb, and that increases to 56% (...so far - some really good ones are just now being submitted for the very first time). Now, that HAS to be right up there, wouldn't you think? Great! Fantastic! I couldn't be happier!
But 100% that was written for the Galbraith? Man, that's just scary!



No comments:

Post a Comment