Tuesday 19 August 2014

Josiah Stubb - "Enthralling! Historical fiction the way it SHOULD be written!"

The following is a review of Josiah Stubb, written by L. Roberts. I was quite taken when she described Josiah's feelings toward his mother, Fat Sally, as "confusion, disgust and compassion." I've never heard a better interpretation.


5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling! Historical fiction the way it SHOULD be written!, August 18, 2014
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
I recently read C.W Lovatt’s ‘The Adventures of Charlie Smithers’, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and was therefore looking forward to reading ‘Josiah Stubb’ with great anticipation. I was NOT disappointed! ‘ Josiah Stubb’ is not only an incredibly well researched and written historical novel, but also a remarkable and compelling portrayal of a young man and his battle to escape his gutter-born past (with all the attendant horrors), and rise above it.

I was enthralled right from the start. CW Lovatt paints such a vivid picture of this historical time in 1758, with amazing detail and fascinating characters, that at times it felt like I was watching an award-winning movie rather than reading a book! I could envision every scene as if I was there! I could hear the sounds of battle, and feel the earth shake with the roar of the cannon. I could hear the cockney accents and see the flushed and tormented expressions on young Josiah’s face, as well as the malevolent look of pure hatred on Sergeant Bell’s face. I could feel the passion between Josiah and Elizabeth as well as Josiah’s confusion, disgust and compassion for his mother.

His effortless manner of weaving the past into the present, was seamless and well-timed. I thought it worked really well, and kept the story interesting, page after page. I found myself so engrossed and caught up in the story, it was near impossible to put down!

For those who enjoyed the wonderful humor in ‘The Adventures of Charlie Smithers’, this is a more serious minded novel for the most part, although there is still the occasional witty humor thrown in. Which I thoroughly enjoyed!

I very much hope there’s a sequel to this book, as I’ve grown very fond of the character Josiah, as well as CW Lovatt’s wonderful writing style! I wouldn’t at all be surprised if they eventually make a movie of this book, for that matter! But even if they do, you should most definitely read the book first!! No movie could possibly capture all the wonderful details and flavors of this exceptional book!
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

No comments:

Post a Comment